The end of June saw further changes to the Avizandum team. We helped Alan celebrate his retirement with a decent knees-up and the gift of a red kazoo (corporate colours of course) and welcomed Colin, who arrived at 56A Candlemaker Row on his motorbike with great enthusiasm and a wealth of new ideas.
For the Lawyer in you life, newly qualified, new staff, those moving on, or just for those busy days when you need to smile, we have a great range of legal cards for every occasion.
Recent notable publications include the 4th edition of Planning. A thorough update and revision has gone into this latest edition, resulting in the most practical and complete analysis of planning law in Scotland, it is essential reading for those involved in construction.
Also the 10th edition Keating on Construction Contracts, which includes up-to-date guidance on key case decisions, full coverage of Supreme Court cases and expanded coverage of procurement including the effect of the Jackson reforms. Keating on Construction Contracts (10ed)
Other recent publications are:
- Scottish Civic Government Licensing Law (4ed) in the Greens Annotated Acts series;
- Rook and Ward: Sexual Offences, which provides guidance on the law relating to sexual offences as it applies in England and Wales, but may well be of interest to Scots practitioners.
The Scottish Independence Referendum: Constitutional and Political Implications
At the end of July, the keenly anticipated 2nd edition of Education Law in Scotland is due to be published. This edition has been brought up to date with the nine Acts of the Scottish Parliament dealing with education since the last edition, other Acts bearing upon the subject, and a new chapter on the law relating to teachers. Please note the price revision (since publication of the Avizandum Spring catalogue).
Other publications expected in July include:
- Rights and Duties of Directors 2016 which will be relevant to those advising company directors;
- Commercial Awareness for Lawyers, covering specific business skills required to be a lawyer and will assist trainees and junior solicitors on practical points of legal business to develop greater commercial understanding.
- Property: A Guide to Scots Law, a brand new introductory title focusing specifically on Property Law;
- Gower and Davies: The Principles of Modern Company Law (10ed), a clear and reliable text for students and practitioners; and
- Wallace & Martin-Ortega: International Law, an introductory text.
- And of course Scottish Law Directory 2016 (white book) is the most widely used source for anyone seeking information about legal services in Scotland. A new edition of Fees Supplement will also be available from the end of July.
At the end of summer (as per the calendar if not the weather!), we can look forward to:
- A Practical Guide to Charity Law
- McQueen and Thomson’s Contract Law in Scotland (4ed)
- Practitioner Guide to Individual Conduct and Accountability,
- Administrative Law (8ed)
- In the wider UK context we have
- Davies: Principles of Tax Law
- Craig's Administrative Law
For those with time off during the summer months, our ‘leisure/holiday reading’ shelf and second hand section provide a selection of interesting items. Browsers are very welcome. For example: Intolerance: Divided Societies on Trial, an exploration of issues from interesting times, including the Salem witch hunts and the great fire of London, or, The Trial of Dr Pritchard, printed in 1906 as part of the Notable Scottish Trials series (please phone, visit or email the shop for information on second hand items). On a lighter note, maybe The Queen’s Counsel Official Lawyer’s Handbook, a collection of satirical cartoons previously appearing in The Times.
We also have a large number of Stair Society publications in stock if you have been searching for certain titles to complete your own set, or perhaps would like to start collecting these. Please feel free to pop into the shop or get in touch with us by email or telephone.
Newsletter - All Titles
|Practical Approach to Alternative Dispute Resolution (4ed)||Blake, S||9780198747666||Pb||£39.99||30/06/2016||Oxford University Press|
|Butterworths Securities & Financial Services Law Handbook (17ed) 2016||Sabalot, D||9781474300124||Pb||£169.00||30/06/2016||LexisNexis|
|Practitioner's Guide to the FCA Listing Regime (28ed) 2016-2017||9780414056985||Pb||£175.00||30/08/2016||Sweet & Maxwell|
|Butterworths Insolvency Law Handbook (18ed): 2016||Davis, G||9781474300025||Pb||£135.00||05/08/2016||LexisNexis|
|Sealy & Milman: Annotated Guide to the Insolvency Legislation (19ed) 2016 Set Vols 1 & 2||Sealy, L||9780414056923||Pb||£326.00||23/07/2016||Sweet & Maxwell|
|Construction Insurance and UK Construction Contracts (3ed)||Levine, M||9781138888944||Hb||£305.00||30/06/2016||Informa Law|
|Construction Law (2ed)||Bailey, J||9781138800427||Hb||£465.00||30/07/2016||Informa Law|
|Keating on Construction Contracts (10ed)||Ramsay, V||9780414055711||Hb||£465.00||30/06/2016||Sweet & Maxwell|
|Practical Guide to Charity Law in Scotland||McNeill, J||9780414032569||Hb||£79.00||30/08/2016||W Green & Son|
|Gee on Commercial Injunctions (6ed)||Gee, S||9781847036131||Hb||£249.00||30/06/2016||Sweet & Maxwell|